View Single Post
Old November 1, 2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

I have pulled up an anchor. I have also hoisted items over the rail of a tree stand without looking right down at them. You reach out and grab them with your hand as they come up to the top edge...nowhere near your head.

Quote:
DNS, It is only logical and semi educated guess that only a few inches either way would have meant head/torso shot...
Now it is a head or torso shot? That all depends on the position of those parts relative to the muzzle and the direction of the muzzle. I guess one way you could look at it is that a hand shot is likely no more than 30" from the head or torso, maybe more like 24. However, let's not limit ourselves to just the head or head and torso. For all we know, the rifle was still 10 feel below him and he was standing up in the stand and the rifle fired upwards. It might have missed his feet by mere millimeters before striking an outstretched hand. It is a miracle he didn't shoot himself in the butt!

Without knowing the position of the rifle, position of the victim, orientation of the stand, etc., any claims that it missed any other parts of the body are hugely speculative.

Getting back to the original comment, however, of "head shot it is a wonder he didn't kill himself" it wasn't a head shot but a hand shot and so it isn't any wonder that he didn't kill himself. Had it been a head shot and he survived, that would be another story.

Page generated in 0.02488 seconds with 8 queries