View Single Post
Old December 4, 2007, 01:00 PM   #4
kfb2b

While it is a neat concept, in overall hunting, and I am basing on this on articles and forum discussions at a certain "campfire" forum site, it is better overall to just have a good, super crisp and consistent 3lb pull trigger. I do not own a CZ but have several pre-war sporters, and also one Mauser that had a Canjar trrigger installed. The cost to in stall those is really-really high, because there is a lot of milling and handwork, and also the same for the stock, but to a lesser degree. oh, forgot that with the double-trigger, you will very likely have to modify the floorplate and may even have to replace the triggerguard as well, and all that will require refinishing - alot of work!
Also, unless you shoot them ALOT, you will have a little harder time with the dbl. trigger setup, because it changes your length of pull, and you can get fumbled up going from trigger to trigger, as I have.

The CZ/Canjar type are a better idea if you decide to go that route, because you just nudge the trigger forward to set it, but there are still issues with installing them in a firearm - they are really a PITA to fit and get going.

Also, there is the issue of going from a pull of a few punds to one of a few ounces, not unlike the double-action auto-pistols that you see - this has been a point of limitied controversy for many years. Yeah-yeah, I know, now for all this I will get little one-sentence responses like "I don't have problems with my so & so," but I am just stating the experience of having worked in firearms sales for about 20 years, plus some instruction expereince. I can also site that in a recent RIFLE magazine articel, Mike Venturino was discussing double-sets when used in BPCR competition, and he noted that many users get into a bad habit of "tapping/slapping" the set trigger. So it is real and does happen, and is a factor.

Now, that does not mean that is a bad thing, and went away for a reason. My personal bet is that it was due more to cost and possible litigation that caused them to go away, and they are just super-cool to boot. If used by someone who shoots often and takes the time to really learn how they are used, or takes the time to "scout" his potentital area to give himself enough time to set the triggers, then they are a superior hunting tool.

For the average joe, it is better to sitck with a trigger about 3lbs, and that is why the savage is so popular, it allows adjust ment by the average Joe and yet keeps the lawyers happy too.

Page generated in 0.03464 seconds with 8 queries