View Single Post
Old October 22, 1999, 08:29 PM   #6
Espresso

Mr. Dave McC

Shamster asked a very general question regarding the merits of a night sight on a shotgun with a light already mounted. I attempted to address the question with a general answer. As I stated on my response, there are other variables. I don't know what sort of residence he lives in. It may be a very small apartment with little or no room to move in. I may be a large 6,000+ sq. ft. home. Each would dictate a different weapon choice. Are there others in the residence? Wife? Children? I sure hope he doesn't zap a family member on a midnight snack because he didn't ID the threat. In response to your assertion that Shamster knows his house better than an intruder has several deficiencies. Since he can't control the circunstances on which he first becomes aware of an intruder I'll assuume a worst case. It's night and Shamster is sound asleep. He has no dog, nor alarm. How long will it take Shamster to become fully awake, obtain a weapon, assess the threat from the noise which awoke him? His intruder entered his house fully awake, weapon in hand, and his body pumped full of adrenaline with quick reflexes. What if the intruder is just there to steal his television and had no weapon? Only a light will let you assess the threat. In most states the use of deadly force under this situation would be an unjustified homocide. Civilians MUST make sure of the threat before pulling the trigger. In the civil case which is sure to follow, the argument of "I saw him move as if reaching for a weapon!" is not sufficient for civilians as it is for LE. If it turns out he didn't have a weapon, You're TOAST! What Shamster needs to do is assess his needs based upon his unique circumstances. As far as how fast I can move under these circumstances, I'm greased lighting when someone is trying to harm me.

Page generated in 0.04244 seconds with 8 queries