View Single Post
Old October 28, 2013, 01:45 PM   #43
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Choices for .277" vs .284" bullets the choice is obvious for me. .277" suffers from weak bullet selection.
....Did I mention bullet selection ?
How many bullets do you actually need?

For me, it's just one: 140 gr Nosler Partitions (and I'd be just fine with 130s, instead).

Last time I checked, every big game tag I have filled with my .270 was the result of a bullet passing through the animal's vital organs, rather than the number of different .277" bullets on the shelves in my reloading room.

And...
If you compare .277" and .284" bullet selections, the vast majority of "extra" bullets available in .284" diameter are match bullets, not hunting bullets. Match bullets are useless in a mountain rifle. So, there's no point in even considering the availability of such things.

Even if you do consider .277" bullet selection to be "limited", just for hunting bullets in the 110-150 gr weight range, you still get:
Berger Hunting VLDs, Hunting FBs, Classic Hunter FBs, Classic Hunter VLDs, and more...
Barnes TSXs, TTSXs, LRXs, and TAC-X.
CT Ballistic Silvertips.
Cutting Edge Hunting VLDs, ESP Raptors, ESP Raptor ERs, and Tactical Hunting VLDs.
Federal Trophy Copper Tipped,
Hornady SSTs, Interlocks, Interbonds, and GMXs.
Nosler Partitions, Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, Accubond LRs, E-Tips, and more...
Norma Oryx, and Vulcans.
North Fork Bonded bullets.
Remington Core-Lokts, Core-Lokt Ultra Bondeds, and Bronze Points.
Sierra Pro-Hunters, and Game Kings.
Speer Hot-Cors, (basic) Spitzers, Grand Slams, Deep Curls, Trophy-Bonded-Tipped, and more...
Swift A-Frames, and Scirocco IIs.
Winchester Silvertips, XP3s, and Power Max Bondeds.
Woodleigh Soft Points, and Protected Points.
And many more....

If you can't find a good hunting bullet in there, you have a serious problem.

Page generated in 0.04580 seconds with 8 queries