View Single Post
Old October 7, 2012, 02:56 PM   #13
BigJimP

The cases that are using small pistol primers ...are typically the NT cases...and the headstamps reflect the NT mark ...and it means they're NonToxic (no lead) primers in those cases. I segragate them / as I find them and dump them / I don't fuss with loading them.

I still see a few NT cases in .45 acp ...and a few in other calibers like 9mm ...but they don't seem to be dominating sales in ammo because they're more expensive ( Win Clean, etc ).

I think there are some ranges out there...that were trying to go to Non Toxic ammo / or at least cut down on lead dust ..on their ranges / vs putting in better ventilation systems...but more and more ranges in my area / are selling the cheapest ammo they can find for range ammo now ...Federal white box, S&B, etc...

I load on a Dillon 650 as well ...and a small pistol primer will jam in station 1 for resizing and depriming / the depriming tip on my Dillon dies in a .45 acp case is too big to deprime a small pistol primer case. There is no doubt that it might get by some dies ..and into station 2 ( for repriming ) ....but if you mash a primer and detonate it in station 2 ...its means you're using way too much pressure seating those primers in station 2 in my view....not that it can't happen / and I always wear safety glasses.../ but in my view its an operator error ( and you should clean and inspect and sort your cases before you drop them into a case feeder ) ..so the operator screwed up twice ..( in his sort / and using way too much pressure to seat a primer in station 2 )...

Page generated in 0.03162 seconds with 8 queries