View Single Post
Old May 6, 2016, 05:28 PM   #17
Llama Bob

I have nothing against them, but I've never felt the urge to buy one. Their basic game is ultra-magnums with increased free bore. The free bore tends to make them less than ideal from an accuracy perspective. Hence why they have essentially no target shooting following.

The basic problem with all very hot cartridges is the thing they do (namely, increase your potential hunting range) isn't very useful. I don't consider it ethical to try to hunt beyond about 400 yards, and a basic 7mm mag will reach out that far and a few hundred yards further, no problem. What do I need a 7mm Weatherby for? I've already got more reach than I can ethically shoot.

Similarly, my .45-90 will drive a 400 grain solid through 50+ inches of hardwood. I've never actually managed to stop one short of using dirt, and never felt like digging one out of the dirt to figure out how far it went. What more is a .460 Weatherby going to get me? The most armored shot on an animal I know of is to brain an elephant from the front through the sinuses, and the non-magnum's got enough juice to get that job done (and comes in a lever gun to boot). There's no where else to go.

Page generated in 0.02080 seconds with 8 queries