View Single Post
Old August 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #22
Winchester_73

Quote:
I've been doing this for awhile - NEVER trade, NEVER (if you want to maximize your return, i.e.).
I don't agree with this advice. Trades need to be looked at on a case by case basis. I have made good trades overall because I made sure I knew what I was giving up and knew what I was getting. I once traded a Hakim 8mm (Average condition) Walther P38 (import marked / reblued) and a Savage 24 22/20g for a Remington 722 222 with a norman ford 6x scope, and a S&W model 44 magnum with cokes (pre model 29) from 1958. I had about $975 in those three, I sold the norman ford scope for $100 and the remington for $400 and so I have $475 for an all original 6.5 in 4 screw pre model 29 from 58. While that does not happen a lot, it can and does happen. Sometimes a trade is good because the other party over values your items, and sometimes its because they under value their own. Of course I don't trade very often, but I've did well doing it when I did.

Quote:
If you're the nervous type, you can enter a hidden reserve (say, $900) - but I've never had to.
I also don't use reserves for auctions, because it turns people off. I think its better to be upfront with the item. If you have to have $900, start for $900.
Often times someone who uses a reserve wants a lot for their item, and so I avoid those auctions often (not always). When you come out and ask $900 its better for business IMO. I've sold many guns and never used a reserve. In the end I usually got at least what I wanted, and sometimes much more.

As petah says, be sure to take good CLEAR photos, and many of them, and type up a good description. You want a buyer to be confident in you and confident in the gun. You also want to make a better ad than the competition. Imagine if YOU were buying it and then go from there.

Page generated in 0.03424 seconds with 8 queries