View Single Post
Old May 2, 2008, 05:49 PM   #41
TexasSeaRay

I strongly prefer Winchester primers for small pistol loads that I load on a progressive.

For my larger pistol loads that I hand-prime, it doesn't make a lot of difference between Winchester and CCI.

But for large rifle, I'm about to give up on CCI.

Last week, I loaded up two-dozen 30-06 loads with different powder configurations, two-dozen 30-30 loads for zeroing in with different ranges--and out of almost fifty rounds, I had eight complete duds--would not fire at all. I had a total of twelve misfires, but got four to finally discharge, leaving eight that were just flat dead.

That's a 25% failure rate, and the highest rate I've had with CCI ever.

And this was from a new batch with a different lot number. Prior to breaking open that brick, I was averaging about 10% failure rate with CCI large rifle.

Two different 30-06 rifles keeps me from blaming the firearm.

Primers never touched my hands--went from tray to primer tray to primer pocket untouched. All were fully and correctly seated, and I uniform all rifle primer pockets, debur the flash holes, and do a light chamfer.

I've had failures with all brands except Winchester (excluding when I didn't seat them correctly), but not nearly as many as I've had with CCI. Back in my competition days, I refused to load them, but during the Winchester shortages during the first Gulf War, I acquiesced and began buying CCI.

When these CCI's are gone, no more. I'm stockpiling Winchester primers like crazy.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.

Page generated in 0.03867 seconds with 8 queries