View Single Post
Old May 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Misssissippi Dave

I like chasing after a good combination in pistol loads. I also like to know which powder/ bullet combinations will work for my interests. You never know when you will find shortages in powder/ primers/bullets. It is good to have a back up plan available when these things happen. While trying to get my back up plan down I found a few different loads I preferred to use over what was my standard load. I was quite happy with W231 and a MG 185 gr. JHP bullet. I found I like WST even better. I had help working on the load for 9 mm with WST. I don't have all the answers by any means. I do like to tinker and that normally means I might find a lot of different combinations others might not care to even try. There are some people here that seem to have tried more combinations than I have even dreamed of.

Just remember to keep good notes of what you have loaded from the beginning. This is even if you only use the same load all the time. You never know when you might need to look at it again. I wish I had done that a long time ago. I once had a great load for .38 special I don't remember what it was. I now have one book of notes by my presses and another one by my computer in the house. I think I have less chance of loosing both of them at the same time this way. I put my thoughts about how they work as well as the numbers. I also write in the one I keep by the computer while at the range as I test them. I transfer that information to the one by the presses later to try to keep them with the same information. These spiral note books don't cost much and you can get them almost anywhere. One day I will probably even put the information on a CD or computer file.

I always look at the load note book before I start loading. When I check the powder drop and OAL I don't go by memory. I know my memory can make errors with numbers. The amount of WST powder I use in 9 mm is not far off from the amount I use in .45. Reversing them would not be something I care to do. It sure would be easy if I went by memory alone.

Page generated in 0.02227 seconds with 8 queries