View Single Post
Old January 28, 2012, 09:41 PM   #61
Sport45

Quote:
I randomly picked one item: RCBS .357 Carbide Sizer Die

Midway: $42.49, dealer price. UPS Ground, $15.17 from MO (Total = $57.66)
Natchez: $31.99, retail price. UPS Ground, $17.99 from TN (Total = $49.98)
Midsouth: $33.96, retail price. UPS Ground, $10.22 from TN (Total = $44.18)

Heck, for $45 Sinclair will sell me the whole carbide set.

This was one RANDOM item. I picked it because I have a .357 set and use it often. I had no idea what the costs would be ahead of time but I buy a lot of shooting supplies and never use Midway anymore because their prices are REGULARLY so high. I could do this all day long.
Bad example.

Looking at the cost of shipping when buying one item really doesn't say much. If you only need one thing you're probably better off going to the local store or using Graf's with their flat rate shipping. When I buy supplies it's typically at least a dozen items and if possible it will be a combined order for two or three of us. I'll load the shopping cart with the same items at Midway, Graf's, Widener's, Natchezss, etc. and place the order with the outfit that has everything in stock and the best overall price. The orders go to Midway about as often as they go to others.

Large orders are the only way to reduce the significance of the shipping cost.

BTW, I can't imagine why I'd ever want to buy a RCBS carbide sizer die by itself, but at Graf's it would have been $42.94 delivered to a retail shopper.

It also pays to keep track of the coupons and specials offered by the sellers. Of course, dealer prices with the C&R license help a lot too.

Page generated in 0.02279 seconds with 8 queries