View Single Post
Old October 24, 2013, 08:28 PM   #53
myfriendis410

Had a guy at our local pro shop a couple of years ago who had just come back from Arizona with a nice 10 point Coues deer. It was the 6th one he shot at. Every shot had been at 20 yards or less, totally oblivious to his presence and five times he shot six feet behind the deer. The sixth time he aimed six feet in front of the animal and 12-ringed him. They ARE that fast. I can't speak to whitetails 'cause I've never bowhunted them but I CAN talk about California Blacktails. They are very nearly as spooky as an adult buck weighs in around 125 lbs. and everything wants to eat 'em. They are on high alert most of the time.

I related watching an episode of Bowhunter TV that tried an experiment with a volunteer hiding behind a wall holding a deer sillhouette and listening for the shot of a compound bow at 20 yards. At the sound he was able to pull the sillhouette out of the arrow's path (forward) 80% of the time. It was quite illuminating.

My first bow was a lower end name brand less than ten years old (new when I bought it) and I had deer jump my string when I let go. Pigs, no. I upgraded to a high end bow (PSE X-Force) and haven't had to deal with string-jumping due to the low noise put out by that bow. You don't have to get a top-end bow to achieve noise reduction but most of the archers out here will tell you they would rather have quiet than fast. Just my 2 cents.

Page generated in 0.02373 seconds with 8 queries