View Single Post
Old April 16, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
frumious

Pay-to-hunt in TX (DFW area)

Hi All,

I would like to go hunting but lack a place to hunt or anyone to go hunting with. I never grew up hunting and besides that I grew up in Kentucky so I don't really have any friends around here from 'way back or anything like that. So I am thinking about one of those deals where you pay them a couple hundred bucks and go shoot something.

I'm sure I can find a bunch of places with a Google search but I wanted to know if any of you have ever used any of these sorts of places and can make a recommendation? I live in the DFW area and I guess I'd prefer to stay within 2-3 hours of here if at all possible. I don't have a 4x4 so I need to go somewhere accessible by road.

As to what to shoot...maybe hogs? I guess I'd like to start with hogs or maybe some kind of small varmint (do we even have those in TX?). I have a .308, a 45-70, and a 22-250, all have scopes, and I'm an OK shot with all of them out to 100 yards or so.

I think maybe some day halfway soon it'd be cool to go on an Elk hunt or something like that out west or a bear hunt or something but for the time being I think I should start small and local.

Overall I don't intend to take trophies or meat or anything, I just want to shoot stuff. Someone else can have the meat. I hope this isn't totally the wrong attitude. And apologies if this is a dumb post. I have been hunting literally once in my entire life, if you don't count birds with a bb gun, so I am sort of a late comer to the sport, and not sure how to get started.

-cls

Page generated in 0.02442 seconds with 8 queries