View Single Post
Old April 8, 2011, 08:21 AM   #22
Bartholomew Roberts

I'd echo what Technosavant says - pretty much any lube will work just fine. The major area where I see a difference is some lubes (RemOil, Hoppes) burn off faster than others and need to be reapplied more frequently. However once you work out how often to reapply, you can keep an AR running on a suprising variety of lubricants.

In my opinion, LSA is a very effective lubricant and preservative. You can check out the dust tests NSWC Crane did back in the 1990s - Militec hosts a copy of those tests as part of their marketing; but LSA was actually one of the top performers (along with CLP).

I've been using Slip 2000 (non-EWL as I started using it around 2003-2004 and EWL wasn't out then - still haven't worked my way through the initial supply of the older stuff). I apply it generously (enough that the first few shots sling off the excess) and so that there is a visible coat on the wear areas. This doesn't meet the current MIL-STD for CLP (I believe EWL does); but it is working for me and isn't petroleum based - which are the two big things I like about it.

Page generated in 0.02896 seconds with 8 queries