View Single Post
Old June 4, 2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Ringolevio

These will be on the written exam at the end of the semester...

Sometimes the meaning of an abbreviation depends on context, and some meanings are site-specific.

E.g., "SA" can stand for "situational awareness", "single action", or it can stand for "Springfield Armory". An "SAA", however, is a "Single Action Army" revolver.

"GSR" usually means "gunshot residue" (especially if you are watching "CSI"), but here it may likely refer to "Gunsite Ranch".

"OC", in this forum, usually refers to "open carry", but could refer to "oleoresin capsicum" (pepper spray).

If you're reading an article by, say, Leroy Thompson or Elijah Shaw, the topic will likely be EP (Executive Protection) and the term "BG" will refer to a bodyguard; in this forum, however, "BG" usually just means "bad guy".

An "HP" is a 'hollowpoint", a "JHP" is a "jacketed hollowpoint", but a "BHP" is a "Browning Hi-Power" (aka P-35). In the UK, "WC" is the "water closet", but here it's more likely a "wadcutter". And a reference here to an "RN" is more likely to a "roundnose" than to a "Registered Nurse".

I notice that I'm now a "Senior Member", so I guess I'm no longer an "FNG" ("Fairly New Guy")!

And while we may have any number of "SOBs" here, the term usually means "small of back".

Page generated in 0.04502 seconds with 8 queries