View Single Post
Old October 8, 2010, 06:21 PM   #34
Nnobby45

Quote:
In a SD situation, it's highly unlikely that you will have a choice but to point shoot...........

Best way to get started with practice is to take a SD shooting class, they will (or should) show you close-range point shooting techniques, including shooting from the retention position.
I don't recall in either of John Farnum's classes him ever teaching anything about point shooting.

Nor in any other classes by different instructors, except for near contact distance where gun couldn't even be raised to eye level.

However, I believe it is useful at close range and should be practiced as secondary to the more effective "use the dang sight" method.

My definition of point shooting still brings the gun to eye level with focus on target and sights seen peripherally--but still a reference. I don't shoot by "instinct" (which some define as point shooting) except, as stated, at near contact distance.

I recall that Jim Cirillo was involved in a number of gun fights and that his practice was to concentrate on the front sight. In one instance he could clearly see the serrations. Yes, he also developed the geometric point shooting technique---after he retired from real gunfighting (six gunfights in all, I believe).

Quote:
moderator will come along to dump icy cold water on the furball
Ahha. That cat reference again.

Last edited by Nnobby45; October 8, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Page generated in 0.03507 seconds with 8 queries