View Single Post
Old October 31, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
603Country

I'd recommend a Timney trigger for the rifle. Not hard to install at all and worth the expenditure. About $100 or so.

You probably have that hard red rubber recoil pad, which probably should not be called a recoil pad. Ought to be easy to remove - just two screws - and easy to replace. Note that if you get a new one, it might be thicker than what you have and will extend the length of pull. If you have a standard rifle, which the Model 77 is, you might be able to get a preshaped pad to fit it. That's more fun than grinding to fit.

Bore cleaning is often a source of discussion on the forum. In my own case, I once thought I undercleaned, so I got serious and really cleaned it (copper and all). Now I have come to believe that overcleaning isn't needed and might actually hurt your accuracy till you can lay down a bit more copper. So...I suggest a good cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine or Shooter's Choice, which won't take much copper out. And if you do clean it before going hunting, be sure to take one fouling shot.

As for the cardboard shim, leave it in for now and go hunting. Don't mess with what's working Ok for now.

If you get another chance to shoot it, see where it prints with a cold barrel. That's what you'll be doing when the big buck is in the sights - shooting with a cold barrel. And good luck with your hunting.

Page generated in 0.02400 seconds with 8 queries