View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
UncleGrumpy

How accurate should my O frame press be?

Hi,

I have been reloading for a few years now, I have been using my fathers O frame press bought in the early 70's. It has not reloaded more than 750 rounds in its entire life.

Last month I started using a Hornady comparator on my mityoyo caliper to measure loading length and realized I was getting upto +/- 3 thou on the bullet seating depth. It was about 50-50 between good and those that varied.

After trying different things including two different calibers, forster & rcbs dies and hornady, berger and sierra projectiles it remained around the same variation.

After scratching my head for a few days, I investigated some more and found that when then press handle was fully down and a side pressure was applied the ram was moving further up and therefore causing the problem.

I reseated the longer cases from the other night but this time made sure that a sideways force was also applied then these matched the good 50% within .0005".

So, my questions are,

Is this issue what I should be expecting in a O frame press that has not had much use?

Am I expecting bench rest quality and need to by something better?

cheers
Jeff

Page generated in 0.02538 seconds with 8 queries