View Single Post
Old November 26, 2013, 07:13 PM   #4

I have also used WST with jacketed bullets without issue but reverse temp sensitivity has been reported. What I've found is that it's more likely to occur in cool or cold conditions because in very warm conditions there isn't any velocity variation. The thing is, Hodgdon recommends against the use of WST in 9mm, even while they provide data for .40 S&W which has an even faster pressure peak where powder capacity is only slightly greater than the 9mm's while pushing much heavier bullets.

WSF is a decent enough 9mm powder but there is better. Either Ramshot True Blue or Silhouette are very well suited to the 9mm all the way up to +P and both have greater pressure stability than WSF. I tend to use True Blue as an accuracy powder, but for my +P type 9mm defense loads I use Silhouette and it burns clean while either give exceptional accuracy. I haven't used AutoComp but I keep up with it because I follow what IPSC shooters are doing in building 9mm MAJOR loads. AutoComp is getting popular, but it's because it produces more gas pressure to better work a compensator. In typical 9 x 19mm loads it can be a bit dirty according to the reports I've read. I don't load 9mm MAJOR, but for high velocity 9mm and .40 S&W I like to use the same powders because pressure stability is a serious requirement for 9mm MAJOR. www.ramshot.com data is good but a bit conservative, IMO, and my belief is that their data is worked up using minimum dimension chambers. SIERRA and SPEER data is more realistic and confirmed by my chronograph. All things considered including very low flash, there's not a better 9mm powder for defense type loads than Silhouette, but True Blue is pretty close and both are used for 9mm MAJOR. HS-6 is another one but with higher flash and 3N37 is also excellent except for the higher price. I've used and continue to use 3N37 because of the older and higher pressure data I have but I've found that Silhouette (formerly WAP) will do anything that 3N37 will do with .2 grs. less in powder charge. They are very similar powders.

Page generated in 0.02274 seconds with 8 queries