View Single Post
Old December 24, 2012, 12:46 AM   #1
300magman

M1 Garand - Modification - Practical Hunter

I am looking for information on modifiying an M1 Garand (nothing collectable, I believe I have a line on a beat up parts gun with a good receiver)

I am interested in keeping the 8 round en block clip, but changing the caliber to 260 remington, mounting a scope, and getting a trigger as close to what I am used to as possible (what I am used to being single stage, perfect crisp break and 2.75 to 3lb pull...on my current bolt guns)

Ideally I would also lighten it somewhat by going with a more modern "hunter/tactical" style stock as well. And a 22.75" barrel that would finish at 24" once the muzzle break of my choice was installed.

I believe that I have seen videos of more radically modified Garands (except possibly the trigger) but I'm not sure where to start looking at actually getting this kind of work done.

Would anyone care to share an opinion?
And can someone point me in the right direction?

Some of you are going to ask WHY . . . here is the answer.
Up here, in the great white north, we are restricted in what we can legally possesss, and even more restricted in what we can legally hunt with. A properly build AR10 platform would probably be cheaper and better for my purpose but is impossible to legally use, any other semi auto is also limited to 5 rounds max...except the Garand
My use is partly an interesting range gun, but because of the caliber it won't see a lot of that; to save on barrel life.
Mostly it will see some deer hunting and a lot of predator hunting. Our coyotes are large, and packs can be large as well, a fast firing rifle with an authoritative cartridge (such as a 260 rem firing a thin jacketed 120gr 6.5mm) should be tremendously effective for range, speed shooting, and impact effect

Page generated in 0.03332 seconds with 8 queries