View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

.308 handloads and accuracy: please clarify.

It has been a while since I last touched my .308. Not had the time, until today that is.

Anyway, the last time I raised the issue of my 155gr A-Max and Scenar handloads I had explained that none of my handloads had struck home, even at 100m. At the moment they are 38gr and 36.5gr respectively of N135.

So I took some member's advice and upp'ed my charge form the starting load to a mid-load. This time I fired another 5 of each (A-Max and Scenar). Again the accuracy was poor, but at least I could see where they were hitting. They were going straight but dropping horribly.

So, is this just down to a lack of power?
Do I just need to increase the charge?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's feasible that all this was just down to bullet drop because of a lack of velocity?
It just seems surprising that a relatively light 155gr bullet could drop by 7-9 inches over just 100m.

By comparison, I shot about 20 Norma Jaktmatch training rounds, also 155gr. They flew pretty straight and I managed some average groups (I'm still a hideous shot...). This at least tells me that both the scope and the rifle are doing their job, even if I'm not doing mine.

So how can I get these fine target bullet to fly true so that I can start to get my own technique to improve too?

Page generated in 0.02110 seconds with 8 queries