View Single Post
Old January 29, 2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Which Manuall? There may be a transcription error-it has happened before.

A few decades ago, I studied Civil Engineering. I had occasion to read Davis & Foote's book, in particular the chapter on adjusting a transit's standards (vertial rotation points). When I joined the Air Force (which used Army Manuals, TM-232 and TM-233) I noticed identical phrasing in the Army Manuals, but with a difference.

So, I looked up in another copy of Davis, Foote & Kelly (they had added Kelly by then, or I had forgotten the third collaborator). They had lifted text directly, word for word from the commercial text ande used it in the Army Manual, but HAD MADE A MISTAKE and the adjusting procedure inserted phrasing that intorduced a randomness factor in the process.

My point is that the manual you have just MIGHT have an error in it. The Army has done it before, mis-copied a passage from an authoritative tome into their own manual.

Also, martial vs civilian procedures/needs may differ. I note that John Browning put a grip safety on the 1911 design because it was a requirement of the Army (I am told). His Hi-Power, unrestricted by requirements of U.S. Army procurement, does not have that feature. Also, many other 1911-derived designs remove the feature and many 1911 users pin the grip safety to inactivate it.

I feel for your dilemma. Re-training your safety processes will be difficult.

Lost Sheep (USAF Vet)

Thank you for volunteering your service to our country.

Page generated in 0.04071 seconds with 8 queries