View Single Post
Old November 24, 2011, 01:16 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Thanks guys and again to Hawg. I have been preoccupied with a new shotgun and forgot that I had posted this. This was left to me by a Step Father and I remember him saying that it was converted from a flint and I think he said it had been his great, grand dad's. It looks like together you did a pretty detailed autopsy of the old girl. I have to take some time to follow and study those links.

I doubt this is a Hawken. The putty like stuff under the nose cap may be some hardware store putty I used when I got the gun and the cap came loose. I know nothing about these old guns, but that brass cap jsut doesn't fit the rest of the furniture.

The pipes holding the rod were obvioulsly, even to me, not original. Instead of being castings, they aslo look like they were made from some copper?

I wondered about the barrel rib and noticed that it was concave on top, but never associated that with a fowler. I can say one thing for certain. That barrel is heavy.

I never thought the flat end of the lock meant anything other than it wasn't original. Now I see where it is flat instead of round on the butt end.

I am going to have to look more closely at the breech and tang.

I guess it has been cobbled together from at least two guns and available parts. Thanks for looking at it.

Page generated in 0.03811 seconds with 8 queries