View Single Post
Old February 1, 2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Jim243

dihnen

I am sure you will be contributing. Using a bullet from a company that does not provide load data for their own bullets is VERY fustrating. 90% of my bullet purchases for bullets are Hornady. And I use their book as my primary reference. However, they (Hornady) do not always provide load data for their bullets using the powder that I have. That leaves me three choices, 1) go out and purchase powder that they have referenced. Or 2) try to peice together my own load with simular "burning rate" powder. Or 3) keep checking all the books till I find a close or exact match.

If you do 2 or 3 you are treading on thin ground but it is done all the time, you just need to start low and work up your load 0.2 or 0.3 grains at a time while checking on over preasure signs when you test your loads out.

The bullets that first come to mind that this is an issue with are Remington's 9mm 124 grain HP that I love to use. I am sure there must be some manual someplace that lists Remington bullets, just don't ever remember seeing one.

Also if you purchase bulk bullets from someone like RMR you will not have any load data for them or even know who's (mfg) bullet you are purchasing.

Best thing you can do then is goto Lyman's 49th Reloading Handbook (pretty generic) and use a load for the same type and weight of bullet.

When I am totaly stressed out as to what to do, I go to Hodgdon's website (yes I have their load book too) and see what the powder mfg says I should do. I use Win 231 99.9 percent of the time so it's always to Hodgdon. I do use other pistol powders but they are for specialty loads like 357 mag (Alliant 2400) or 357 Sig (Alliant Power Pistol) and follow their instructions.

If you take care, you will be safe, go slow and check everything 2 or 3 times.

As I see it a book is cheap and a rifle or pistol is expensive. So If I am using a bullet from Serria or Nosler I will buy their book eventhough I will use it not very often.

Pick a bullet that you like and stick with it, over and over again untill it is no longer made. That way after you finish your testing you will have the "Perfect Load" for that bullet and gun.

Good luck
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; February 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.03660 seconds with 8 queries