View Single Post
Old November 5, 2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Well, let me give you an idea of his competence: the only two politicians who have ever beaten him in an election are Roland Burris and Rod Blagojevich.

He's got a debate tonight, and it will be interesting to see whether gun rights come up. I rather think they will. Kirk Dillard is a state Senator with probably the best chance of beating Ryan and winning the general election, and he's sponsored concealed carry in the past and would promote and sign it as Governor. Then there's Bill Brady, also a state Senator, who never met a gun control bill he didn't hate with a passion, and Dan Proft and Adam Andrzejewski, who are such long shots that they will probably be ignored tonight, but both are very strongly pro-gun. Andrzejewski actually said in a recent debate that the 2nd Amendment is "not about hunting."

Meanwhile, Jim Ryan and Andy McKenna (running as an "outsider," but he was the Chairman of the state GOP for years and was a big part of keeping criminals like George Ryan in office) are going to have to justify their stands.

I look for Jim Ryan to try to make a big change and pretend that he's always been the pro-gun choice. My impression is that he will pander to whoever he thinks has the whip hand. In 2000-2002, he thought gun control was the coming thing, so he was the poster boy. This year it should be clear that being anti-gun is a liability, and I expect him to pretend.

Page generated in 0.02997 seconds with 8 queries