View Single Post
Old May 10, 2000, 12:51 PM   #28
Simon Yu

Danger Dave: I wasn't talking about carrying it around in school, more for other occasions where there aren't so many people around or if he needed to get somewhere that he couldn't get to by choosing a safer route home. I obviously don't know the layout of his school, but often times they have multiple exits. While security tends to view this as a problem, having alternate escape routes always helps. So does blending into a crowd.

Knife combat doesn't just involve knives btw. There's a lot of use of the empty hand and kicks mixed in with bladework. People tend to focus on the sharp, pointy thing and not empty hands or feet. Also lots of focus on footwork. Many martial arts seem to focus on blocking a blow instead of just getting out of the way.

ClownFish: Unfortunately, martial arts have become commercialized, kind of like how boxing became practiced more in its sport form back around the early 20th century. Some people end up studying tournament style karate or tae kwan do which often doesn't translate into combat effectiveness. Many also get enamored with things like roundhouse kicks to the head and aerial kicks instead of more basic but more effective methods of attacking. And then there are those that have their confidence boosted TOO much by their training and don't know when to run away. Sadly, some instructors care more about making a buck than teaching more than just techniques to their students.

------------------
"I look at it this way . . . If it gets any worse I'll be too dead to care."

Simon Yu

Page generated in 0.02658 seconds with 8 queries