View Single Post
Old April 13, 2009, 11:24 PM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Safety first is exactly why I carry with a round chambered. If my weak hand is encumbered... it is much safer in that situation, for all involved except for the bad guy, to have the gun ready to go and be fired with one hand.
+1. I dislike "unloaded" carry for that reason and several others:
  • If firing the gun requires you to complete a complex series of actions involving 2 hands, those actions could be fumbled at the worst possible moment. The simpler it is to get the gun into action, the better. I prefer "just pull the trigger" simple. However, IMHO easily-disengaged manual safeties are OK as long as you're willing to repeatedly practice drawing the gun until disengaging the safety is second nature.
  • A nearby BG may grab you by surprise, or may swing a blunt instrument at you. Your other hand may be needed to hold the BG at bay long enough to draw your gun.
  • The assumption that "my gun is unloaded" can lead to complacency, which can lead to unsafe gun handling practices. For instance, if you're concerned that your carry method could lead to the trigger being accidentally pulled, the correct response is to change your carry method, not to carry the gun "unloaded".

Page generated in 0.02493 seconds with 8 queries