View Single Post
Old April 8, 2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

OK, I'll take the opposing view

So, if this is more than simple buyer's remorse, consider this.

If you keep the Deluxe, you will have paid a lower price for a little bit less of a press. (All the following advice applies to the 4-hole version.)

So, do the math.

What is the return policy of your seller?

What will it cost to make the return and is the price differential worth the difference in quality (and qualities) between the superior Classic and the Deluxe? Include shipping.

The Deluxe Turret operates the same way the Classic does. The exit path for primers is not as certain, so you will have a few hit the floor instead of finding their way into the cavity under the press. Emptying the cavity under the press every few hundred loadings is inconvenient, but not taxing.

The Classic will accommodate a longer cartridge than the Deluxe, but this will interest you for rifle cartridges more so than .40 S&W.

You will have to be more assiduous in keeping the press clean and lubricated and the operating handle will take some monitoring.

The new Deluxe Turrets do take the Lee Safety Prime. (The priming arm, the little metal piece that has the primer cup and installs in the ram) The earlier Deluxe Turrets have a double-ended priming arm. I don't know if the Lee Safety prime (the little Pez-dispenser-like device that pops out primers one at a time) will work with it.

If you have not opened the box, I would not feel morally obliged to stay with the sale. Or, you could consider the lesson to be one well-learned.

Don't beat yourself up. I don't think you have hurt yourself badly if you keep the Deluxe. They are both good presses. Just the more expensive one is the better one.

Having said all that, I will acknowledge that I personally much prefer the Classic. I have never used (or seen in real life) a Deluxe, but I do have two Pro-1000 presses which use the exact same base as the Deluxe.

Good Luck.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; April 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.03482 seconds with 8 queries