View Single Post
Old March 20, 2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Early cartridge conversions... 38 S&W ever find their way into one ???

I've got a 38 S&W thread in the revolver section, I reload a lot of them just finished 650 rounds loaded in 3 load levels...

...a couple weeks ago, I was at the only gun show I get tables & sell at... during this last show... a guy brought in an old C&B revolver that was the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time... it was the mid sized frame, open top, did not see much "Colt" stuff on it, but did see a Colt patent... I thought it an early replica... guy said he had it since Vietnam & a buddy owed him money, so he took this gun in for what he owed him... the original cylinder was through bored, & a firing pin added to the hammer, the ball seat rod, was riveted solid, & the gun was shot so loose, I'd swear it could shoot around corners... anyway... I think it was 36 caliber, & I'd suspect they either shot 38 S&W, or 38 special in the gun... much of the base of the case was exposed, because of the shape of the back of the cylinder, there was no loading gate, or extractor added... I asked him what he was thinking for a price on this hammered old gun, he said the guy owed him $500.00 way back then, so he thought he need that or a little more... I laughed, & said I'd think $75.00 would be generous... needles to say, we didn't make a deal...

this got me wondering, if the 38 S&W with it's larger bullet diameter, & lower pressures might have found it's way into quite a few early original conversion guns ???

this also got me thinking, that a pair of 38 S&W conversion cylinders might be kinda cool on a 36 caliber revolver, for CAS use...

thoughts or comments ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 20, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.03460 seconds with 8 queries