View Single Post
Old July 9, 2005, 12:17 AM   #5
38splfan

Differences.

This is mostly opinion, so take it for what it is worth:

I have always preferred the High-Walls for their looks. They are attractive, timeless, and look classic.
The Sharps have a reputation for being a business rifle. Getting the job done simply, effectively, and reliably.
Each has it's ups and downs.

This next is based on experience:
Every Sharps repro I have handled (including the CW era blackpowder carbines) has been reliable and accurate. (our range only reaches to 300 yards, though). Pedersoli and Uberti have never failed to ring an 8" gong at 300 for me. Even the BP paper-cartridge '61 carbine (with a little work form the shooter).
The only Browning I handled was a bit awkward, but that is due to my experience with the Sharps and lever guns. It was not bad, just took some getting used to. It was also pretty accurate, and would have been better had I been a better shooter with it.

You should have good luck with either. I would definitely second the shotgun butt. I don't mind the military style too bad, but the shotgun butt on my '73 makes a world of difference when shooting long range from a rest or sticks.

Hope that helps, take care. John.

Page generated in 0.02589 seconds with 8 queries