View Single Post
Old December 27, 2005, 04:00 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

From the WA codes: "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

The devil is in the details, as someone I know identified to me elsewhere; "that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons." What it boils down to is that if some blissninny gets the vapors at the sight of your evil deadly weapon, and finds just one other person to agree with them that their alarm is "warranted," you're going to be in for an uncomfortable encounter with the local cops even if it later gets cleared up. Dunno what case law is on this, but the intent of the folks who wrote it up was to prohibit open carry in most cities, while neatly sidestepping the need to anger gun owners by saying so (from what I understand, the phrase was stuck in there in exchange for state pre-emption).

What I do know for sure is that in the State of Idaho, it really depends upon where you are. Some places won't do a thing unless you are actually exhibiting in a dangerous or reckless manner, while in places like Boise or Idaho Falls, merely printing may get you a visit from the local gendarmes.

Brandishing appears to mean, whatever upsets the locals!

Page generated in 0.02769 seconds with 8 queries