View Single Post
Old January 30, 2009, 06:16 PM   #26
Tennessee Gentleman

I for one cannot see that happening in any way in the near of foreseeable future. I think the system of government we were given and the maturity of our democratic institutions would prevent such a thing. I often do not agree with the government but I feel that my vote and the votes of other count and time and time again (like the recent Illinois Governor impreachment) the system works. Not perfect and mistakes are made but in the end there is no better system in the world. I don't think a revolution would produce a better system.

Another view of the "Battle of Athens" may be found here: http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/ima...p?EntryID=A043

I quote a pertinent part:
Quote:
Although recalled fifty years later with a certain amount of local pride, the battle of Athens initially proved a source of embarrassment, and many residents abhorred the violent, extralegal actions of the veterans. The image of gun-wielding hillbilly ex-soldiers shooting it out with the Cantrell-Mansfield "thugs" that blazed across national and regional newspaper headlines enhanced East Tennessee's reputation for violence and lawlessness. The Good Government League, empowered by the veterans' victory, scored few successes in its efforts to eradicate the vice, corruption, and arbitrary rule of machine government.

Page generated in 0.03130 seconds with 8 queries