View Single Post
Old November 10, 2008, 12:17 AM   #34
overkill556x45

Unless you are taking CNS shots, I think "one shot, one kill" is a pipe dream. It will probably take more than one shot to down a determined opponent (like a guy with a towel on his head who seriously considers wearing a suicide vest). Additionally, in wartime conditions, bad guys tend to use cover. You won't always have a perfect silhouette to fire at. If all I can see is an arm or a leg, that's what I'll shoot. Every hit counts. Blood loss sucks, period. Accuracy is great, but you shouldn't expect the threat to stop with a single round.

I have shot expert for five of the last six years that I've been in the Iowa guard. However, when I went to Afghanistan and met some unpleasant characters armed with PK machineguns and RPG's, I did not make hits with every round. When green tracers splash into the walls around you, and stuff is exploding, it's considerably harder to make that perfect trigger squeeze. You can train a lot, but when you know the threat is really trying to kill you, accuracy becomes a bit harder to achieve.

I think a lot of the arguing about what caliber to use is based on a false premise--one shot, one kill. If you've done it, congrats. I don't have an extensive experience in combat, but from what I saw, you better not count on a single round to kill the BG. Unless you're taking CNS shots with a decent scope or sniper rig.

Page generated in 0.03636 seconds with 8 queries