View Single Post
Old December 14, 2001, 09:15 PM   #4
striderteen

"I think your first two principles work against each other. If you are to always run when threatened with a weapon, then principle 1 will make you a murderer, -especially since will have no weapon. Combine this with principle 7, where you are advocating killing, and you are looking at a serious stretch of time or worse, since you have just shown premeditation. "

A retreat is preferable to engagement, but I agree that it's not a viable option in most situations (basically, only if the target hasn't spotted you). I put that in mostly to discourage over-aggressiveness, and I'll probably reword it.

"All I can say is, if you must use a firearm (or weapon) to defend yourself, it had better in an extreme situation, and the application of lethal force is to INCAPACITATE the aggressor(s) from committing any harm to yourself or other innocents. The application of firearms in personal self-defense is not to kill. Death may just be a side-affect occurence. Look for this discussion in an earlier discussion here."

I will change the wording to reflect this. Note, however, the following:

"The only shot placement that guarantees immediate and total incapacitation is one roughly centered in the face, below the middle of the forehead, and above the upper lip. Shots to the side of the head above the horizontal line passing through the ear opening to just below the crown of the skull and from the cheekbones rearward to the occipital lobe are also effective." (U.S. Army Field Manual FM-90-10-1 Appendix K, "Close Quarters Combat Techniques")

That headshot is lethal, and I have not heard of any shots that can reliably incapacitate without killing.

"I believe that you are a teen-ager, I'd like to suggest that you look for and take some beginner gun safety/awareness courses offered in your area. Possibly at local shooting ranges, clubs, Boy Scouts, or NRA offices for further gun shooting fun and safety."

Been there, done that (for the record, I'm an Eagle Scout, and I do have the rifle safety merit badge). And I'm not a teenager per se at eighteen.

Page generated in 0.03019 seconds with 8 queries