View Single Post
Old September 24, 2002, 01:26 PM   #11
TBAUS

I agree pretty much with all said before. I think brass looks nice, but it won't stand up over time, as previously stated, with heavy loads. I have a .44 cal 1858 Remington replica that I bought when I was 14, that is still in time and very functional 33 years later. I am quite anal about care of a firearm, but we should all be that way. You've got to clean black powder guns asap after shooting. When I was 14 ( and perhaps a little older) I stuffed as much powder in the cylinders as it would hold and shot through refrigerator doors. I bought some of the old brass molds that used to be abundant that had one cavity as a round ball and one a conical. The round balls are easier to seat correctly. The conicals are hard to get seated perfectly without deforming the bullet. I used to use plain old wheel bearing grease over the balls. Use tight fitting caps, usually #10's if you can find them. I think RWS sells a 10.5 . If you want to shoot light loads and don't plan on shooting the gun for 30 years, then brass will do fine. I have at least one brass Colt replica myself. The Ruger Old Army is basically a modern gun that shoots black powder. I know of nothing stronger in a black powder revolver. Most of the black powder replica revolvers out there will shoot fine and certainly are low cost.
I think one of the reasons the cartridge conversion kits haven't caught on is they cost too much. If you could get one for $100 I would buy one.... My two cents...

Page generated in 0.03529 seconds with 8 queries