View Single Post
Old August 8, 2013, 06:49 PM   #12
JTMcC

It looks like you've got a lot of answers unrelated to rural AZ. One from southern AZ.

Rural AZ can mean a lot of different things from "on the outskirts of the big city" to reallly really desolate. From 600' elevation to 12,000'. Conditions will vary accordingly.

Overall the biggest threat would probably be the wild dogs in groups. Shotgun is good there.
Bears have been a benign presence for years but have gotten much more belligerant the last few years.

I'm deep in lion country and have had lion tracks around the shack and at the back steps several times, likely a sick or injured lion. They've killed the neighbors dogs from time to time.

Coyotes are commonplace, but again sick/injured will hang around looking for cheap meals.

Poisoness snakes are common in my yard (little kids play here), wild barn cats help, observant dogs help. Any pistol shot cartridge works well from .22 to .44 mag. They might squirm around for an hour or so. 12 Ga = no squirming. The household go to snake gun is a stainless Ruger single action .22 loaded with shot. Everybody here can use it.

Maybe a bigger threat is the Arizona Tweaker Thief. They steal to get a small amount of dope per day. They used to be primarily located in the towns but have seemed to have gravitated to rural areas lately. Stealing anything that can be pawned or scrapped out. They usually run when confronted but you can't count anything out when meth is in the system.

Bottom line is that your suggestion of a shotgun will be a good choice for your sister (for defensive purpose) in almost all cases. Hopefully she gets it out and runs it on a weekly basis. And has it loaded with #4-00buckshot.

J

I'll add that we see bobcats regularly, I've never heard of a bobcat in AZ threatening a human, including my time as an employee of the USF&W Service in Animal damage Control.

Last edited by JTMcC; August 8, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.03461 seconds with 8 queries