View Single Post
Old May 2, 2012, 02:29 AM   #14
arcticap

What I think is happening is that the mineral oil in the Bore Butter works like a slow acting solvent.
If there's any residue left in the corners of the rifling grooves (or any where else in the bore), then the application of Bore Butter can slowly dissolve it and then lift it off the metal.
It sometimes requires friction to remove stubborn residue and cotton patches can only provide so much friction because cotton is soft.
And if the patches aren't as tight as possible then there's always the possibility that some trace amount of residue can get left behind.
I coat the bore with Bore Butter and then check it after a day or two by swabbing it out to see if there was any additional residue left over that was loosened from the metal surface. If the patches come out dirty at all, I'll swab the bore some more and then reapply some more Bore Butter.
A bronze or Tynex bore brush can also help to clean any remaining residue from the rifling grooves.
There's also more powerful solvents like Shooter's Choice Black Powder Gel. I'm not sure which TC solvent was used, but IMO TC #13 isn't among the most effective solvents for removing stubborn substitute powder residue.

Last edited by arcticap; May 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.02619 seconds with 8 queries