Thread: 1911
View Single Post
Old December 29, 2012, 04:22 PM   #80
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
But, then there will be the those who's experience has been lucky in that they have one of those 1911's that they will claim that they have shot for "thousands" of rounds and it has always functioned flawlessly. If those guys had the experiences with the Factory new, Colt 1911's I have had, they would have sworn off 1911's.
The same could be said of any new firearm, from any maker.

I have had the good fortune over the past twenty years to have been able to afford to purchase a precious few NEW handguns. Most of those have been 1911s, and almost all were Colts. Not a single one of them was in any way less than 100 percent reliable. The same was true of the couple of Para-Ordnance 1911s.

A couple of other handguns, of types other than the 1911 and from well-known makers other than Colt and Para, were significantly less than 100 percent. Most of those were disposed of quickly, as IMHO life is too short to waste it arguing with guns I should have known better than to buy.

Problems with 1911s arise when people who think they are smarter than John Moses Browning try to "fix" that which was not broken. The results are predictable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
I disagree. "Staking" is the process of plastic deformation of the soft steel. If the area that is staked is very small as in the plunger tube, I would expect the small amount of metal that is involved to become battered and loose its shape after a high round-count even though the tube would not seem to be put under that much stress during the firing cycle.
The plunger tube is under NO stress during firing, and at no time is it in any way subject to "battering." In fact, when building 1911s I have on more than one occasion subjected the pistol to lengthy sessions of test firing before I finished the frame. When I do that, I just press the plunger tube into position and rely on the left-side grip panel to retain it -- which the left-side grip panel was designed to go. I've never had one come out when used without staking, as long as I use grips that conform to the original design.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; December 29, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.02679 seconds with 8 queries