View Single Post
Old February 12, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1
jg0001

Anti-Home Invasion Preparations (non-gun)

I've come across a few interesting things in reading through this area of the forum and figured it may not be a bad idea to consolidate a few ideas.

Much of the below I take no credit for, I just found them interesting and wondered what else people have thought of in their quest to make their homes safe.

List of non-gun, anti-home invasion devices (to complement your gun)
[links provided ONLY to show a sample of what I'm talking about, not to relate any experience or endorsement of said product]

(1) Large Dog (real)

(2) Fake Dog (i.e. one of those auto-barkers based on proximity)

(3) Sack of marbles to roll down a hallway (especially good for hardwood floors) -- $10 and change buys you 700 mini marbles!

(4) Automatic Lighting System -- could also be a remote operated lighting system (could be auto-on based on proximity or setup to turn on all lights in a room (or the house) with a remote)

(5) Bulletproof 'Riot' shield ($1600) --seems like the ultimate -- prop yourself in a corner with this shield, a gun and a phone and you're all set unless commandos invade

(6) Bulletproof 'Blanket' (figure around $1500+ for high level protection), and much of these are rather flame retardant as well; sizes from 4x4 feet to 6x6 feet are available -- given the weight, the smaller one may be more useful (22 lbs on the 4x4 versus 50 lbs on the 6x6)

(7) Window Exit Ladder (I'm assuming the kind that is essentially a double rope ladder with rungs; something that is not permanantly installed -- for bedrooms on a 2nd floor or higher; primary useage here is for a fire escape, but good also for exiting the building when leaving the bedroom is a risky situation)

[I'm curious what people think of #5 and 6; both of these are available from an online shop that also sells standard bullet proof vests to military & police; I thought #6 was a decent idea for useage by the wife & kid as they hide in the tub while I position myself to defend with a gun (or two). Though perhaps I should have it...]

What else have you come across that seems like a good addition? (weird or otherwise)

Last edited by jg0001; February 12, 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Page generated in 0.03013 seconds with 8 queries