Thread: Tactical lights
View Single Post
Old July 25, 2010, 02:59 PM   #6
JimL

Quote:
The whole notion of lumens seems to be a bit screwy in terms of how many equals what seen brightness.
None of the methods I've seen for reporting light brightness is foolproof, because there are too many scientific variables. Like percentage of reflectance and angle (broad or narrow) of reflectance - even whether there _is_ a reflector. There is also the matter of whether you measure intensity at a point or over a relatively broad area. A light with a super bright point might not light an overall area worth a toot.

But it makes it even worse when different makers use different reporting methods with different degrees of correctness - even considering variables.

Quote:
Those that are determined will go for the light since the light is attached to you, either shooting toward the light or attacking toward the light.
A recent post elsewhere told of a nasty encounter in which the homeowner took a .40 in the side. An interesting side to me on that was that he was against one wall of the hall, switched off his light, moved to the other side of the hall, switched it on again and took out (another) BG permanently. I had never come across the idea of turning it on and off before, but it makes sense. (He didn't even know when he took the bullet.)

Edit: Turning a light on and off gets into the whole game of how the switching is set up.

JimL

Last edited by JimL; July 25, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.03832 seconds with 8 queries