View Single Post
Old January 13, 2009, 02:04 PM   #12
73flyby

Lot's of issues since my last post. Here's my take:

For bullseye/target competition type shooting you won't be happy with a fiber optic sight.

I do not think that the Hunter is tapped for a Weaver/etc. mount. If you think you might want to upgrade to a red dot sight, make sure your pistol choice is tapped (usually when it is, the mount comes with the gun). Otherwise you will be making an unnecessary trip to the gunsmith.

Weight is a personal choice. If a gun is heavy, you can get used to it and continue to improve if you shoot a lot. I don't think that shooting even once a week is enough to develop good muscle memory. I'm a 90-95 shooter, and I don't think I will be able to break that plateau with my heavy gun. (I like my Mark III but I'm not ready to make the leap to a lighter $2000 pistol just yet.)

Ammo does matter. You are not at a level that warrants match grade ammo. It's too expensive for general practice, but once you get into it, you are likely to find certain brands, that you will not care for. For me, like 40cal, I had problems w/ Remington. I find that with a solid rest, my pistol can consistently tag the 10 ring at 50 feet with inexpensive Federal copper plated hollow points. The same is not true of other ammuntion I've tried.

A red dot will make you a better shooter. This is my conviction, and I stand by it. If you use one for a while and go back to open sights, you will be a better open sight shooter. They do add weight. That weight will serve you better than the extra inch and a half of barrel length. I know archers that use pin sights that can outshoot the average freestyle shooter using a scope. But that's apples and oranges. Generally a person's scores go up when they use a scope, and I believe that to be true of red dot use on a pistol.

Melch is right about the "right" gun to a certain extent, but for the same price, some will serve you better than others. But in that vein, don't expect that you will find the "perfect" gun on the first try. The more time you spend at the range, the more opportunities you will have to try other models. I have found shooters to be very friendly, generally proud of their guns, and eager to let folks try them out a bit when they show an interest.

Melch, I'll get back with you on the actual pull on my Ruger. I have not actually measured it, but I know it's lighter than some of my others that have been measured. I have an appointment with the smith in a few days to pick up a gun that I'm having set at 3.5 pounds. I'll have him measure it for me then. But it's a light pull, and I bought it new with no modifications.

Page generated in 0.02471 seconds with 8 queries