Thread: replica guns
View Single Post
Old August 28, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

First of all, read the thread "So you want a cap and ball revolver". at the top of the page. It will more than likely answer any questions you have. Another source for information is the Blackpowder essentials folder over on the High Road (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238769)

There are basically three types of C&B revolvers; Colt copies, Remington copies and Ruger Old Armies. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, and ardent followers or detractors. Your best bet would be to find a muzzleloading and/or Cowboy Acton Shooting (either SASS or NCOWS) club and partner up with someone that uses C&Bs regularly and try as many guns as you can. It won't take long to figure out what you like.

I am not aware of any current revolver kit Guns being made. There are always a couple older kits on the auction sites though. C&B revolvers are sometimes considered to be 'Kit Guns' because they take a little smoothing and tuning to get them to perform at a high level. The current crop of Piettas and Ubertis are probably the best they've ever been; but, there is still that odd lemon that will sneak out of the factory.

I am a devotee of Ubertis and 2nd Gen Colts and use them regularly in competition. The 1861 Navy is IMNSHO the best revolver ever made.

Good luck and happy shooting.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; August 28, 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.02593 seconds with 8 queries