Thread: M1A Sporter?
View Single Post
Old December 24, 2013, 03:26 PM   #6
PVL

I'll have to look into it and see if have been obeying an obsolete law, but the impression I have is that if the game warden catches you with a rifle that holds more than five rounds, you get into some kind of trouble here in Texas.

Obsolete laws are something to watch out for, here. - It was just a month or so ago that I learned that switchblade knives are legal now... When I was younger, a cop wanting to mess with me would look at me significantly and ask, "You are not carrying one of those SWITCHBLADE KNIVES, are you?"

"No officer, That's a Swiss army knife."

When I was a kid we used to laugh because there was still a law in the books here in Texas that required night drivers to arrange for a man with a lantern to walk in front of the vehicle after dark.

The five round stripper clip is interesting, I'll look for those. - If the stripper clip system for the M1A works well, I won't have much occasion to remove the five-round magazine. - In any case, I'm more of a plinker than a hoser, and like to let the barrel cool down between shots if I have the chance.

If a fatal problem arises with using the five round magazine and the stripper clips, I can always alter a ten round magazine to just hold five rounds.

The 1-4x24 scope sounds about right. If I can find a good 2-7 that will sit down low, that would be ideal.

Right now, out of the box the gun shoots the Russian steel cased polyformance rounds into 2 inches for five shots at 50 yards. I'll have to try to improve on that, maybe through handloading. - It is necessary to get under 2 inches at 100 yards - and hopefully better.

Brownells sells a combination muzzle brake and barrel tuner that would help tighten the groups, and cut down on the recoil as well. It's made to mount with a collet system, but I think I can get around that and mount it directly onto a 1" or maybe 3/4" long steel barrel extension tube.

Autoloaders like the Browning BAR and the M1A are naturals for barrel tuners, as the ammunition must first be tailored to function well with the gun - then you worry about accuracy. Having a tuner lets you adjust the gun to the ammo for accuracy, instead of the other way around. This should simplify coming up with an accurate, reliable load that works out well for the rifle's mechanism.

Last edited by PVL; December 24, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.02953 seconds with 8 queries