Thread: M1A Sporter?
View Single Post
Old December 24, 2013, 08:11 AM   #3
PVL

I've thought about putting a flash hider on it, but I decided to stick with the muzzle brake which appears to be very effective. Even with the steel butt plate, recoil is very soft for a .308 and this will become more important as I lighten up the gun.

The walnut stock I have is oversized in all dimensions and will require extensive whittling and sanding to get it down to a reasonable size. The forearm in particular looks way too big so I'm hoping for a good deal of weight reduction as I shape the stock. Right now I'm getting it fitted to the action as a first step before I start slimming it down.

I'll try out a five round magazine and if it doesn't work out, I'll alter a ten round magazine to hold five. One thought that I had was to use the five round magazine and just leave it in the gun, feeding it with a stripper clip instead of removing it from the gun to reload. I think that the smaller magazine will go far in improving the gun's handling qualities, there will be one less thing sticking out to snag on things and get in the way.

Modifying a stripper clip for five rounds looks easy, but I haven't tried to do it yet, so it's hard to say... If nothing else, I can always just put five rounds into a ten round stripper clip.

Looking at slings and carrying straps, I'm drawn toward the single-point slings that dangle the gun off of your belly when you need to have your hands free, but will allow freedom of movement when you decide to pick it up and address a target.

Then again, I've never tried carrying a gun for an extended time with a single-point sling, so I have no idea about the comfort factor there.

The hunting here requires you to traipse all over the mountains and desert, avoiding the cactus and loose soil as you try to get within shooting distance of a critter when there is no cover, to speak of. Your 'cover' is several hundred yards of distance, from what I understand so one has to be ready for a long hike over rough, uneven ground in order to take a long shot at particularly tough game.

If I were hunting for white-tails out of a stand, no modification would be necessary but I'll be hunting mule deer instead, up in the mountains of the high Chihuahuan desert of west Texas. The gun will have to be very accurate, and I'll need at least 4x magnification on the scope.

Page generated in 0.02217 seconds with 8 queries