View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 03:27 PM   #99
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
Could you guys explain to me how gun shows work? Enlighten me so I have a better understanding of how gun transactions are done. MLeake pointed out that FFL's still have to go through NICS while personal sales do not. I guess I feel that once you're in a public domain such as a gun show then 'private' sales are no longer private and should be subject to NICS. This is one of the reasons why I avoid personal sales through sites like armslist.com -- I have no clue whether or not John Doe is a complete nut job or not. I think it's incumbent upon us as gun owners to be pro-active and weed out the bad guys.
gaseousclay, at gun shows, sales work exactly like they do everywhere else. If I buy a gun from an FFL's stock, a NICS check must be done. It doesn't matter if I'm at a gun show, in the brick-and-mortar store, or hanging out with the store owner on my buddy Fred's back 40 acres. If I buy from a private party, "private party rules" apply. That means that a background check is only required if state law requires it, because federal law does not. Again, location is irrelevant. If the private party and I happen to be standing in the middle of a gun show, it's still a private-party transaction.

Page generated in 0.02270 seconds with 8 queries