Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 01:40 PM   #7
maillemaker

You can get a Lee Pro 1000 for about $190. It includes one set of dies. It is a progressive reloader.

The primer feed is a little finicky - if the primers bridge in the primer holder and the feed ramp goes empty, the last few primers don't load properly without a full slide of primers to push the first ones in line into position properly. The trick to this is to just thump the primer tray on each stroke and make sure the feed ramp stays full of primers.

I would rather have a 5-station setup. That way I could do the bullet seating and bullet crimping in separate stations, and also have room for an RCBS Powder Cop die which will detect over and under charges, and will lock up the press on detection of the condition.

You will also need a reloading handbook with load data. If you want to do it on the cheap you can go check it out at the library and photocopy or scan or photograph the pages for the few calibers you will likely be interested in.

I definitely recommend reading a book on reloading. I like the ABC's of reloading. Again on the cheap you can check it out from the library.

You'll need a scale and a bullet puller. I bought a nice little electronic Frankford Arsenal digital scale for like $25, and I think the bullet puller was less than that. You will also need a set of calibers. They are very cheap at Harbor Freight.

You'll need a way to clean your cases, either a vibratory or rotary tumbler. Strictly speaking, you don't have to clean your brass, but it is significantly harder on your dies and press as it takes a lot more force to push dirty brass through the dies.

Casting your own bullets is cheap and easy - if you can find a tire store that will sell you their wheel weights. I recommend buying your first batch of bullets so you can concentrate on the loading and not the casting/lubing of bullets.

For most pistol cartridges, that have straight walls, they don't stretch during firing and so you don't have to worry about trimming the cases.

Necked cases, however, like most rifle cartridges, stretch during firing, and as such you will need a case trimmer to shorten them back up.

Steve

Page generated in 0.02145 seconds with 8 queries