View Single Post
Old January 26, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
jg0001

New Jersey and Hollowpoints --- clarification, please

Anyone know enough about NJ law on HOLLOWPOINTS?

For a while, I thought they were fully illegal, I was wrong.

My local range/gunshop told me the following:
"they are okay if you have them at home, but not okay to carry, even if you have a permit, even if you are a retired cop... and they make any illegal activity even moreso if you have hollowpoints at the time of the crime"

However, another NJ gun shop owner sold only the dum-dum style of mushrooming bullets (i.e. not hollow point).

I take this to mean you can use them in home defense but unless you are an active duty cop, keep them at home. I'm not even sure I can legally shoot them at the range, even though they sell it.

The NRA-ILA summary for NJ says:
Quote:
"It is unlawful to knowingly have in one's possession ''any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet." Nothing in this prohibition shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, or while engaged in activities covered by paragraphs 3, 4, and 5 above under the Exceptions to the Permit to Carry or FID requirement."
[though it is not clear what paragraphs 3, 4, and 5 actually are...]

Page generated in 0.02408 seconds with 8 queries