View Single Post
Old January 28, 2013, 09:41 AM   #35
jmortimer

Here is what they used/did for the testing:

"Bone simulation was effected by placing a bone simulant plate, produced by Synbone AG of Switzerland, in front of blocks of 10% ballistic gelatin (Figure 1.) Tested plates were 6mm ( ¼” ) thick and covered by a rubberized ‘skin’ layer. Product number of these plates is PR0114.G. Density for the tested
samples came out to be 816 kg/m 3 and the failure mode for these was ‘brittle’ failure, similar to bone."

Ballistic gelatin does not reproduce bone or skin, just soft tissue, very accurately, according to Fackler. Until we swerved off into this issue, the only point I was trying to make, was that the 135 grain Gold Dot +P does not work so well in bare gelatin and the Corbon 110 grain DPX does. In addition, the DPX performed best with the bone simulant, a test that apparently does plug up a hollow-point bullet as most every bullet failed. Again, if I were looking for reliable expansion out of a .38 Special, and I'm not, I would use the DPX. Heavy clothing, and drywall and other barriers will plug up hollow-points, these are all "exo-barriers" and Brass Fetcher did attempt to simulate skin as well as bone as indicated above. Ballistic gelatin does not reproduce skin and bone. I'll stick with a hard cast wadcutter and a max meplat out of a .38 Special, which will have trouble expanding any bullet while providing adequate penetration in the first place. I'll take two feet of penetration with a standard pressure wadcutter lilke the 150 grain Buffalo Bore.

Page generated in 0.02944 seconds with 8 queries