View Single Post
Old December 13, 2012, 11:08 PM   #34
taylorce1

I wasn't trying to be hostile or negative to you, just asking questions because what you're saying isn't adding up to me. To me the things you are stating are from a very narrow point of view because of very limited experience. You have more resources for information readily available that I didn't have 22 years ago when I started down this path, take advantage of them.

A few things will always remain constant I've found out. People are always looking for something they think will make them better instead of focusing on making themselves better. I even fall into this trap every now and then, but a lot less than I used to. Handloading will always be cheaper than buying ammunition. That doesn't mean you'll spend less money, it just that you get to shoot more or buy more guns with your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbat35
I was open to many, and had no idea what people may say so I stayed open. I assumed that there was no need to mention the .243 as well as the .22-250 as they are common "burnout" calibers when fired often.
That hasn't been my experience in several thousand rounds shot through the .243 by me. Will the barrels accuracy erode faster than a .223? Probably, but they usually don't go in 3500 rounds like you stated. I have no experience with the .22-250 but I know several guys who do and yeah they rebarrel every 5-6 years on average, but they have put far more than 3500 rounds down the barrel. You can roach a .223 barrel out very fast as well, the only reason AR's are more tolerant of high volume shooting is because of the chrome lined barrel most of them use.

Quote:
Because I didn't need to buy a new barrel, a friend of mine did a conversion and traded it for some work he needed done on his car. A brake job with parts already included for a new barrel, that's not a bad deal at all. And with a fresh barrel it sold for a quite near new price.
So you got a free barrel and that made it cheap. I get that, but at $85-125 for a new take off barrel from Northlander I could have easily rebarreled 3-4 times for the cost of a new Savage rifle. So if you went back to .243 and it only lasted for 3000 rounds each time you could have shot 9K more rounds for the cost buying a new Axis rifle and over 12K if you include the free barrel in all that.

Quote:
When you can reload match grade ammo for less than .40 cents a round, let me know.
I can do that easily at about 37 cents a round using 1K new Lapua brass, Federal GM primers, Sierra 69 grain Match Kings, and Ramshot TAC powder. Thats if I figure I can only load the brass five times, if I figure I can get ten loads before I have to trash the brass then it drops to 32 cents a round. If I use non-match new brass I can get it down to 20-27 cents a round. If I buy once fired brass, surplus powder, 55 grain FMJ, and regular small rifle primers I can load the first 1K rounds for 26 cents each, and each 1K after that for 17 cents per round.

Quote:
When prices do go up and gun stores start foreclosing more and more, then I will still be sitting where I am, getting the discount ammo the way I still do. And in that day the powder, primers, brass, bullets, and other consumables in the process will be just as expensive.
Your dollar will still go further reloading than ever buying ammunition. You'll still be money ahead buying in now rather than later. My point was if you have to store your firearms and ammunition off campus, why can't you reload off campus as well?

Quote:
Your opinion is your opinion, but with this caliber, I will be shooting it to a decent extent. I'm not going to be content with shooting a .223 to just 200 yards all day every day. I will be pushing it a lot. And when your already pushing a caliber to its limits, and already working with the massive amount of wind compensation, I would rather not use a bullet that weights 17 grains.
Again your thinking isn't adding up. A the weight of the bullet has nothing to do with it's ability to buck the wind. Velocity and Ballistic Coefficient overcome the wind. Your little 17 grain bullet with a BC of .218 will do better in the wind than a 110 grain .308 caliber bullet out of the .30 Carbine at the same speed. My point with the "your wind isn't special" comment was to quit worrying about the equipment, learn the dope and become a better shooter which is what you are wanting to do isn't it?

Last edited by taylorce1; December 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.02351 seconds with 8 queries