View Single Post
Old April 14, 2010, 12:43 AM   #5
HiBC

I am not saying this is the best way to go.30 years ago,I bought a broken ,old 1941 10" x36" South Bend Navy Signal Corps lathe from a junior high shop.The quick change lever was broke,a couple gears were broke,half nut and screws were wore out.$400,wi8th a Cincinnati polishing lathe for ballast.
Found precision grade ground lead screws and new half nuts.Fixed what was brokeTotal diassembly,clean,new epoxy paint and some love.Tune the headstock sleeve shim situation.Got new flat belt.It already had a taper attachment .Bought a new good 3 jaw.Yuasa's version of an Aloris toolpost.Fond a 5C taper and a guy who sold the 5C drawbar.A buddy had spent his inhertance on a brand new Bridgeport.He did the lathe overhaul and it sits in his shop.
Over the last 30 years that lathe has done one whole lot of good work.
As has been mentioned,at a 10 in swing is when you usually get a spindle thru hole for a 5C collet drawbar(1 3/8 or so).That is ,for me,a requirement.
Some Logan's are similar.

Sure,we think it would be nice to have a Monarch.He and I have both found Monarchs rather special.We have used them.
If you can find a Harrison 10" in good shape,I like them.They work well with a phase converter.
The 10 in Clausing was pretty good,but the variable speed drive wears out,and then is troublesome.Rebuilt,it may be OK.

You might pretend you bought a brand,and it broke.Try to find spares and service.If you can,good!!! If you cannot,Hmmmm?
I have used some older Jet and Powermatic lathes,and I was underwhelmed.

Page generated in 0.03357 seconds with 8 queries