View Single Post
Old August 9, 2010, 10:27 PM   #23
Sefner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate45
In my opinion it is a bad idea. I can see ordering someone(who has tried to rob, or assault me) to lie on the ground while I call the police. However, if they choose to flee, I would let them go.
Good post nate. I'd like to second the quote and add in a little bit. One of the videos I watched during my CCW class showed a type of citizen's arrest (scenario is a person walks in in a burglar and does the following): Order the criminal to drop anything in their hands, get on the floor, feet towards you, legs crossed arms spread eagle, palms up, head turned away from you. Then the key: do not position yourself between the criminal and the nearest exist, move if you have to. You then call the police etc etc.

If I had to make a citizen's arrest (I hope I don't, don't want to imagine the type of situation that would call for it), that is how I would go about it. I think it would be prudent to also inform the criminal, while on the phone with 991, that any movement away from the position (ie: turning palms over, uncrossing legs, etc) would be considered an attempt at my life. Note that it's not "I will shoot", just that it would be considered a threat. The dispatcher would hear this, it would be recorded, so that if something did happen, I have that recording to use as evidence. Now if the guy actually uncrossed his legs I wouldn't shoot him, I'd wait until it was more evident that he intended to harm me, which I would hope would seem like I'm giving him more of the benefit of the doubt. And remember, not between the door and the criminal, if he got up and moved towards the door, I'd let him go, not worth it.

Page generated in 0.02355 seconds with 8 queries